Saturday, November 29, 2008

Expectations and Disappointment

Living comes with expectations and disappointment. I have always been aware of these two constants in mine. I often feel as though people have different expectations of me than they have of themselves. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, so that is not what I am talking about. I have this ability to take a lot of crap from those closest to me before I react. In many of these cases it is those people who are the most sensitive who are unable to meet my expectations. My feelings always seem to get hurt without them realizing it. It is always somewhat amazing to me. I have even brought it up to some of those involved and yet it persists. I guess what makes it difficult is, like I said, it takes me a while to get to my breaking point. 

Having said all of this, I am disappointed. I try to do for the people in my life. I try to remember we all are different and that is what makes life interesting and I do take ownership of preferring to deal with other people's problems rather than my own. I guess I do need less help day to day from others, but that does not mean I do not have feelings or expectations and sometimes if I am actually asking to be listened to and needing something from the people in my life it would be nice for them to come through. It would also be nice on occasion for people to acknowledge my existence and my feelings.

All of this is vague, but currently that is the best I can do.

1 comment:

Ariella said...

This of course makes this sensitive friend feel intensely guilty, as I try to rack my brain for what I did back in Boutique Season to make you feel this way. I am so sorry if it was me. I love you so much, I'm just terribly narcissistic.